Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Wheater Wednesday, Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 90 Proof

Note: Wheater Wednesday is a result of a massive blind wheated bourbon tasting that recently concluded. The bourbons rated here are publicly available.

Next up is Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 90 proof, often abbreviated ORVW 10/90.  ORVW 10/90 is part of the most sought after bourbon family in the bourbon world: Pappy Van Winkles.  Pappy Van Winkle makes extraordinarily good bourbon, but if you're a bourbon drinker, you already know all this.  ORVW 10/90 is one of the lesser known offerings.  It is a close cousin to a bottle I try to keep on my shelf, ORVW 10/107.  The Van Winkle lineup also includes a 12, 15, 20, and 23 year old bourbons, and a 12 year old rye.  The Van Winkles have released various other products over the years, but my basic rule of thumb has always been that if I see any Van Winkle offering on the shelf, I purchase it.  That is, until now...

I had not had ORVW 10/90 until this tasting.  Remember, I tasted all these bourbons blind.  On to the notes:

Nose: Young and corn forward, some vanilla and corn stalk.

Taste: Like bourbon flavored water.  There's not much to this bourbon.  Thin and watery.  I wouldn't have even thought this was a wheater cause there is almost no sweetness.

Finish: A slight tingle on the back of the tongue.

Overall: 78.  When I found out the identity of this bourbon I was mildly shocked.  I've always like ORVW 10/107, but then again, I've always known what was in my glass.

Some other reviews:

Sour Mash Manifesto (Put SMM in your reader. Jason Pyle is one of the best bourbon bloggers around.)

Whiskey Apostle

No comments:

Post a Comment